ZircoFlex® II is an engineered double thickness form of ZircoFlex® I that offers additional thermal barrier performance and a little more rigidity.
ZircoFlex® II is produced as a thin aluminium backed matrix that is:
- Flexible – easily manipulated to suit different geometries, and can be folded tightly through 180o without damaging the thermal barrier. Though it is noticeably more rigid than ZircoFlex I
- Lightweight – Weighing only 1kg/m2.
- Extremely Thin – 0.5mm overall, needing only minimal space for installation.
- Aluminium Backed – So the material is robust and easy to handle.
- Easily Cut – And easily installed by hand or machine.
- Easily Fixed in Place – Using mechanical fasteners or high temperature adhesives (supplied separately by Zircotec).
*Bespoke sizes are available upon request.
ZircoFlex® is believed to be the first ever flexible ceramic heat shield material. It is the culmination of more than five years intensive research and materials science, using a new technology in which the ceramic material is sprayed in the form of thousands of individual platelets onto the surface of the backing foil.
While these platelets are close packed to provide comprehensive heat protection, their structure coupled with the forming processes allows the foil to be flexible, easily manipulated and bent to shape for use as an exhaust shield or other heat shield, adding to the uniqueness of this high quality and well developed product.
In its present form ZircoFlex® is suitable for applications with temperatures up to 500°C. We do not recommend using this grade of ZircoFlex® I in direct contact with high performance exhaust manifolds or headers.
With patents pending, ZircoFlex® foil is unique and only available from Zircotec and its authorised partners.
We commissioned an analysis of the performance of a leading commercial double walled heat shield material (5.25mm thick and 1.46kg/m²) with just one layer of ZircoFlex® I foil. In both cases the heat shield was put in direct contact with the heat source (the worst case scenario) and temperature measurements were taken on the outer “cold” surface of each heat shield. Under these conditions the commercial heat shield material was only able to achieve a temperature reduction of ∼35%, whilst the much thinner and lighter ZircoFlex® foil reduced temperatures by ∼64%.
A repeat of these tests with ZircoFlex® II and ZircoFlex® III revealed similarly spectacular results. See above chart.